Information for Potential Fraternity/Sorority Members
We applaud your decision to seek information on the Plattsburgh State Fraternity/Sorority Community. You have potential to enter the ranks of men and women whose experiences in fraternities and sororities have helped to develop them in many aspects of their life including the areas of friendship, scholarship, leadership and service.
- Personal Development
- Lifelong Friendships
- Meaningful College Experience
- Leadership Development
- Community Service
- Scholastic Support
- Social Development
- Lifetime Opportunity for Involvement
How do I Join a Fraternity or Sorority?
In order to join, you must have completed 12 credit hours with a minimum GPA of 2.3 at Plattsburgh State. Students who do not meet this requirement (including first semester students) may attend fraternity/sorority programs and events; however, they may not join or accept ANY form of membership in a fraternity/sorority. Students, organizations and members who fail to adhere to this policy are subject to judicial action, including suspension from the college.
The following organizations require a GPA higher than a 2.5 to join:
- Omega Phi Beta Sorority, 2.7
The following fraternal organizations require a minimum GPA of 2.5 to join:
- Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority
- Alpha Phi Fraternity
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
- Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity
- Chi Phi Fraternity Colony
- Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority
- Sigma Lambda Upsilon Sorority
- Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity
- Theta Alpha Lambda Sorority
- Theta Nu Xi Sorority
NOTE: Students may NOT join organizations that have lost recognition from the College. These organizations have been closed by the College and international organizations because they were not upholding fraternal values and were engaging in risky behaviors that endangered themselves and other students. Students who join organizations that are not recognized by the College are subject to judicial action, including dismissal. The following groups ARE NOT recognized by SUNY Plattsburgh: Lamba Upsilon Lambda Fraternity and Theta Kappa Beta Fraternity.
Questions to Ask When Choosing a Fraternity/Sorority to Join
- What is the purpose of the organization? Why should I join? What aspects of the fraternity/sorority encouraged you to join?
- How will joining your organization benefit me?
- What are the financial obligations of membership? Are there any extra costs the semester you pledge?
- What is required during the new member education process? How much time does it take? Can I see a copy of the new member program? What percentage of new members are initiated?
- What is your organization's position on hazing?
- What does this organization do to support its members academically? What is the chapter GPA?
- What does this organization do for the College and community?
- Are the members involved in activities outside of the fraternity?
- What is your organization's relationship with other fraternities and sororities? What do you think your reputation is on campus?
- Does this group participate in the Chapter Accreditation Program? What is its "star" status?
- Is this a national or local organization? What do you see as the benefits of joining one over the other?
- Have you had any problems with the College, international organization or the City in the past?
- Are there any housing obligations?
For information on specific fraternities and sororities, please contact Fraternity/Sorority Life.
For more information about Fraternity/Sorority Life at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Director of Fraternity/Sorority Life & Organization Development
Angell College Center 204
Phone: (518) 564-4825