Graduate Assistantship Opening in Transfer Admissions
Discontinued. Position will not be filled.
This graduate assistantship provides a tuition scholarship (in-state rate) and a stipend of $5,320 for the 2013-2014 academic year.. The position reports to the Assistant Director for Transfer Admissions and requires a work schedule of 20 hours per week beginning on September 30, 2013 and ending on May 16, 2014.
Responsibilities—Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review transfer applications — request missing materials and render decisions under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Transfer Admissions.Meet with prospective undergraduate students and their families when they visit the campus. Collect information to be used in application review and provide information regarding academic programs, campus life, student services, scholarships, and the application process.
- Assist the Assistant Director for Transfer Admissions with application completion and deposit-yield activities. Responsibilities may include sending e-mails and making phone calls to students who have applied or who have been accepted.
- Assist the Transfer Advisor as needed with the transfer ambassador program. Responsibilities may include assisting with training sessions, assisting and participating in ambassador activities, and reviewing data for prospective students collected by ambassadors.
- Assist the transfer staff with credit evaluations, including reviewing course descriptions, suggesting course-to-course articulations, contacting faculty to determine course equivalencies, and other degree audit activities as needed.
- Assist admissions advisors in greeting special groups that visit the campus and in delivering oral presentations about the college to large and small audiences.
- Respond to email and phone inquiries from prospective students, parents, and counselors.
- Assist admissions advisors with special visitation programs, including Accepted Student Days, Group Information Sessions, Open Houses, Scholars Weekend, Transfer Sessions, and the New York City Bus Trip.
- Matriculated graduate student at SUNY Plattsburgh in good academic standing (minimum 3.0 GPA).
- Must be able to work 20 hours per week during the winter session.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are knowledgeable about the SUNY Plattsburgh undergraduate student experience and/or transfer student experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proficient computer skills and willingness to learn Banner.
- Committed to confidentiality, professionalism, and integrity.
- Strong organization skills with ability to attend to details.
- Ability to work independently on assigned projects and initiatives.
- Ability to work some weekend and eveing hours as needed.
Complete the one-page Graduate Assistantship Form and the Human Resource Services General Employment Application. Be sure to attach your resume, two letters of recommendation, and a personal essay (250 words or less) outlining your skills and abilities to your General Employment Application.
To apply for this position, complete a Graduate Assistantship Application Form by February 15. The application form can be downloaded at: http://www.plattsburgh.edu/admissions/graduate/forms.php.
Erin Peters, Assistant Director for Transfer Admissions
Office: Kehoe 1001B, 101 Broad Street Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-2040