Community & Public Services
Our planetarium facility performs as a 360 degree multimedia sky theater, allowing visitors to experience live, interactive programs as well as automated productions that feature realistic night skies and virtual journeys through our solar system and distance deep space phenomena. Please join us in our quest to help children of all ages expand their universe.
Currently there is a charge of $2.00 per person for all public shows and presentations. Tickets are available at the College Center Desk in Angel Center, (518) 564-2121. Please click here to view our current semester schedule.
Special Interest Groups
As the Northcountry Planetarium at State University of New York College at Plattsburgh is committed to promoting and providing quality astronomy and space science awareness for our local community, we are delighted to host presentations for special interest groups, clubs and other social organizations. Please consider a visit to the Northcountry Planetarium when planning outings and activities for your special interest group or club.
Schedule a Visit
Notes and Reminders
Please consider the following when planning a visit to the Northcountry Planetarium:
- Please keep in mind we are planetarium, not an observatory. Our ceiling does not open to reveal the actual night sky to be observed with a telescope; rather our dome shaped ceiling remains closed and acts as a hemispherical projection screen for the planetarium projector to accurately simulate the celestial phenomena of the night sky as well as their locations and natural motions.
- Due to the nature of the delicate optics, electronics and other equipment food, beverages and gum are not allowed in the planetarium theater.
- Cellular telephones, laptops, flash cameras and all other electronic devices should be turned off and stowed prior to entry into the planetarium theater.
- Parents and/or other adult chaperons must remain in the planetarium theater with their children throughout the entire presentation.
- As it is the nature of our facility to accurately simulate the night sky, the planetarium theater will become dark, very dark. Please advise and prepare your group or family members accordingly prior to your arrival.
- Due to building construction in the Hudson Hall area there is no suitable parking area for large numbers of cars or buses in the immediate area surrounding the Northcounrty Planetarium. Please be prepared to walk across campus from neighboring parking areas or drop guests at the Hudson Hall front entrance and then park your vehicles elsewhere on campus. For further information about arrival and parking options please call our secretary at (518) 564-3168 anytime Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. View the parking map.
- Please note that the Northcountry Planetarium is closed during regularly scheduled college holidays and recesses such as Thanksgiving, winter recess, spring break, summer recess, etc.
To learn more about the Northcountry Planetarium at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Glenn Myer, Director
Office 218 Hudson Hall
Phone: (518) 564-3166
Fax: (518) 564-3169