CLEP (College Level Examination Program) at SUNY Plattsburgh
Earn College Credit Quickly and Affordably!
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) gives you the opportunity to earn college credit. Take one or more of the 33 CLEP subject examinations and earn a qualifying score as determined by the American Council on Education (ACE) or by the institution receiving your score(s). For a full list of available exam titles, descriptions of test content, and links to sample questions and study guides, please visit the official CLEP website, “exams offered” page: http://clep.collegeboard.org/exams/offered.
Testing Schedule at SUNY Plattsburgh
"CLEP Registration” is now done online through CLEP’s My Account portal. Our “Test Center Reservation” remains the same. Read carefully the info in sections below.
Effective July 1, 2014, only one form of government-issued identification is required.
Important: If you are interested in taking a CLEP exam, you must complete two separate processes: (1) Register and pay online for a CLEP exam via CLEP’s My Account portal, and (2) complete and mail in a Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Form with reservation fee as early as possible — by the reservation deadline listed to the right of each exam date below — to secure a seat at our test center.
Exams are filled on a first come first served basis. Once we receive your Test Center Reservation Form, we will communicate with you via the email address you provide to confirm your reservation or to indicate that our test center is full on that date and suggest an alternate date.
Special group sessions: Phone our office (518) 564-2080 if you would like to arrange a special date for your class or group (5 or more) to take the CLEP exam at the same time.
Summer/Fall 2014 Schedule* (tentative, but probable dates)
CLEP Test Dates & Registration Deadlines
|Day & Date of Test
||Test Center Reservation
Form Rec’d By...
|Fri Jun 13
|Thu Jun 19
|Wed Jul 16
|Fri Aug 1
|Wed Aug 6
|Fri Sep 12
|Fri Oct 3
|Fri Nov 7
|Fri Dec 5
* Other select dates during may be reserved to accommodate regional HS groups. Contact us if your area high school classes would like to take CLEP tests for college credit; common examples are French, Spanish, College Composition, Economics, Natural Science, College Mathematics, College Algebra, and Psychology).
CLEP Registration Forms & Fees
There are two separate fees and registration processes:
Phone (518) 564-2080 if you would like to arrange for CLEP testing as a college credit option for your students.
- $80 (US$) CLEP Exam Fee (this fee “buys” your ability to take a CLEP test)
- All CLEP exam payments/registrations must be made by test-takers online through CLEP’s My Account portal. If you do not already have a College Board account, you may create on The College Board website, clicking on either “Create an Account,” or GET STARTED WITH CLEP.
- For exams starting Jan. 1, 2014, online exam payment via My Account (above) is required.
- It is advisable to buy your CLEP exam online prior to making arrangements with our test center.
- $65 (US$) Plattsburgh Test Center Administration Fee (payable by money order only to SUNY Plattsburgh)
- This fee is necessary in order to reserve a seat on a particular test day.
- If you’re taking an exam with optional essay, or need special testing accommodations, make arrangements with us a minimum of two weeks prior to the test date (30 days notice will permit ease of accommodations).
- The SUNY Plattsburgh test center uses a unique registration form to reserve a seat for one of our exams.
- Please download the Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Instructions (PDF file size is 119KB), then...
- REQUIRED: Download the Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Form (PDF file size 344KB) Note: Test takers may only register for one exam per test date, per reservation form.
Academic Advising Office
- Send a completed Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Form and a “Plattsburgh Test Administration Fee” of $65.
- Test Administrative fee must be paid by money order only to SUNY Plattsburgh.
- No personal checks, cash, or credit cards. Note: This fee is nonrefundable.
- Mail the Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Form with your $65 Test Administration money order to
101 Feinberg Library
SUNY College at Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Changes/Cancellations: Registered test takers may change a reservation for exam date only once. This change must take place at least 3 business days before the originally scheduled exam date. Candidates who change a scheduled exam date three or more days prior to the exam date must pay a $20 rescheduling fee (payable by money order only to “SUNY Plattsburgh"). Test candidates who change/cancel fewer than three business days (72 business hours) prior to the exam date, or who do not show for a registered exam, will not be refunded for the test center administration fee. If this is your case, you are welcome to reserve a seat with us again at a future date, and will be required to pay the test center administration fee again.
Resources, Reminders, and Receiving Credit
- Visit the College Board’s CLEP web page for assistance with:
- Descriptions of all 33 exams
- Downloading an exam guide
- Options for military personnel & veterans
- Credit, scores, & transcripts
- Prior to testing, you should investigate your own institution’s acceptance policy and passing score requirements.
- For SUNY Plattsburgh student, see SUNY Plattsburgh Admissions for a complete list of SUNY Plattsburgh course credits honored through satisfactory CLEP scores.
- You will receive an unofficial score report from our test center immediately following your exam (except for essays). Official transcripts are sent by CLEP to your institution within 4–6 weeks.
- CLEP exams are computer-based.
- Exams are filled on a first-come first-served basis.
- You may not sit for a CLEP exam until both the test center administrative fee (mailed to us) and the CLEP test fee (done online) have been paid.
- Candidates need 1 form of identification on the day of the exam.
- The primary form must be a government-issued photo ID with signature, such as a passport, driver’s license, state-issued ID card, military ID, tribal ID, naturalization card or certificate of citizenship.
- If you are a minor and/or homeschooled without both required forms of ID, CLEP provides a student ID form that can fulfill either the primary or secondary type of identification. Print the Student ID Form (a .pdf document); the form is valid for one year, must include a recent photo, and requires school district or notary verification.
- For additional information about identification, as well as scoring, timing, and preparation, visit CLEP’s Exam Day Info online.
- Cell phones and/or beepers are not allowed into the exam room. All CLEP tests take place in Feinberg Library Room 129.
Have a question that needs an answer fast? Take a look at CLEP Frequently Asked Questions.
Office Location: Feinberg 101-103
Phone: (518) 564-2080
Fax: (518) 564-2079