Non-Credit Lifeguarding/Waterfront Renewal
One day upgrade workshop open to individuals holding current Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid certification. Individuals must pass written test, prerequisite swim test and all Lifeguard/ Waterfront/ first aid skills. Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid/CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer certifications is good for two years. NYS requires CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer to be renewed annually.
Fall 2014 Waterfront/Lifeguard Training Renewal
Date: November 22, 9am - 5pm
Register by November 19
Spring 2015 Waterfront/Lifeguard Training Renewal
Date: May 2, 9am - 5pm
Register by April 29
Who May Enroll?
Open to certified lifeguards who have current certifications in lifeguard training/waterfront/First Aid and CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer.
Cost: $100.00. Participants can review for written tests and skills by going to e-book Lifeguard Manual. Click on Lifeguard manual
- Three written tests (participants must pass each section at 80%) Lifeguard Skills, CPR/AED for professional Rescuers/First Aid & Waterfront
- Go to http://redcrossrefresher.com/q/lifeguarding/choices/ to review for test.
- Swim test:
Please bring personal lock for securing your belongings during pool session of workshop.
- 550 yards (200 Front Crawl with rhythmic breathing, 200 Breast (using pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence), 150 Front Crawl or Breast)
- 20 yard swim, surface dive to retrieve a 10# brick from depth of 7-10 feet and swim back (1 minute 40 seconds)
- Two minute tread, legs only
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4-7 feet of water; resurface and swim 5 yards to side of the pool.
- Testing of all lifeguard skills
- Testing of all CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer skills.
How to Register
- Download the Lifeguard Training Renewal Form (pdf file size 60.1kb). Note: This document requires Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
- Bring enrollment form, registration fee, and copy of current certifications in Lifeguard training/First Aid, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer and Waterfront to 312 Memorial Hall
- Enrollments will be accepted Monday - Friday (8:30 a.m. - noon and 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.)
- Checks must be made payable to SUNY Plattsburgh
- Mail enrollment form, registration fee and copy of current certifications to SUNY Department of Recreation, Memorial Hall 312, 101 Broad Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901.
- Enrollments will be accepted on a first-come-first-enrolled basis.
- Individual will only be contacted if we are unable to enroll you.
For more information about Recreational Sports at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Karen Waterbury, Recreational Sports Associate Director
312 Memorial Hall
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-4150
Fax: (518) 564-4155