Non-Credit Lifeguarding/Waterfront Renewal
One day upgrade workshop open to individuals holding current Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid. Individuals must pass written test, pre-requisite swim test and all Lifeguard/ Waterfront/ first aid skills. Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid certification is good for two years. This workshop does not renew CPR for Professional Rescuer certification that NYS requires to be renewed every year.
Fall 2013 Waterfront/Lifeguard Training Renewal
Date: November 23, 9:00a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Register by November 20
Spring 2014 Waterfront/Lifeguard Training Renewal
Date: May 3, 9:00a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Register by April 30
Who May Enroll?
Open to certified lifeguards who have current certifications in lifeguard training/waterfront/First Aid. Recertification for CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer is not offered during this re-certification workshop.
Cost: $75.00. Participants can review for written tests and skills by going to e-book Lifeguard Manual. Click on Lifeguard manual
- 3 Written test (participants must pass each section at 80%) Lifeguard Skills, First Aid & Waterfront
- Go to http://redcrossrefresher.com/q/lifeguarding/choices/ to review for tests
- Testing of first aid skills
- Swim test:
Please bring personal lock for securing your belongings during pool session of workshop.
- 550 yards (200 Front Crawl with rhythmic breathing, 200 Breast (using pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence), 150 Front Crawl or Breast)
- 20 yard swim, surface dive to retrieve a 10# brick from depth of 7-10 feet and swim back (1 minute 40 seconds)
- Two minute tread, legs only
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4-7 feet of water; resurface and swim 5 yards to side of the pool.
- Testing of all lifeguard skills
How to Register
- Download the Lifeguard Training Renewal Form (pdf file size 60.1kb). Note: This document requires Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
- Bring enrollment form, registration fee, and copy of current certifications in Lifeguard training/First Aid and Waterfront to 314 Memorial Hall
- Enrollments will be accepted Monday - Friday (8:30 a.m. - noon and 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.)
- Checks must be made payable to SUNY Plattsburgh
- Mail enrollment form, registration fee and copy of current waterfront Lifeguarding certification to Department of Sport and Wellness, 101 Broad Street, Plattsburgh State, Plattsburgh, NY 12901.
- Enrollments will be accepted on a first-come-first-enrolled basis.
- Individual will only be contacted if we are unable to enroll you.
For more information about Recreational Sports at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Scott Johnson, Recreational Sports Director
Recreation, Intramurals & Club Sports
314 Memorial Hall
Department of Sports and Wellness
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-4150
Fax: (518) 564-4155