Intramural Basketball Rules
- ID cards will be collected from each player. Score keepers will check ID's against approved roster and place names on score sheet. NO ID-NO PLAY. Players are to pick up their ID at end of game.
- Each team is responsible to have one player who is not playing responsible to help the scorer with the name of individuals who committed a foul.
- Score keepers will keep track of fouls (team and individual), the running score and time. Do not hover over the scorers and distract them.
- A floor captain must be designed for each team. They alone may discuss problems with the officials. Remember, "zero tolerance" for talking to officials. Clear up any problems prior to the start of each game particularly questions concerning eligibility of players.
- Please notify the intramural coordinator if rims are broken or nets need replaced.
- Teams must wear number jerseys of same color or scrimmage vests.
5 on 5
- Two 20 minute halves; continuous running time except for time-outs and the last two minutes of each half. The last two minutes will be timed according to regulation play.
- Tied games: one five minute overtime period running time. If game remains a tie after overtime period, tie will stand. Each team may have one time out in overtime period.
- Five individual fouls removes a player from play.
- The sixth team foul begins the bonus free throw situation (1-1)
- Foul shot lane violation: players may move into the paint after a foul shot only after the ball has made contact with the rim.
- Four time outs per game per team. Time outs not used during regulation play may not be carried over into overtime.
- There will be a jump ball to start the game. Alternated possession rule will be in effect for the remainder of the game.
- Substitutes must report to the scorer and wait for a dead ball before entering the game. No substitutes on the fly. (Technical)
- Mercy rule: If a team is winning by 30 or more points with 10 minutes or less left, the winning team automatically wins and the game is over. If both teams wish to continue playing they can do so, but the official game is over.
3 on 3
All rules above apply except the following
- After each foul, opposing team takes possession out of bounds
- Ball must be returned to foul line after each shot, regardless if ball hits rim or not.
- Flip of coin for starting possession.
- 15 minute game, continuous running time except for time-outs.
- Two time outs per game per team.
If you have questions about Intramural Sports at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 3:30-4:30
Phone: (518) 564-4149