SUNY Plattsburgh Odyssey Equipment List
Everything on this list is REQUIRED in order to participate in this program.
You will probably notice the emphasis on warm clothing on the list. Even in August, the weather in the Adirondacks can be cold - especially in the mountains. Bringing everything on the list will help make this trip both comfortable and safe.
- (1) Duffle Bag or Suitcase (for packing gear in)
- (1) Sleeping Bag. (Stuffed either in a "dry" bag or double garbage bagged). Not cotton!
- (1) Pillow
- (4) Pair Lightweight Socks. Not cotton!
- (4) Pair Lightweight Socks (Cotton OK)
- (1) Pair of Heavy Socks. Not cotton!
- (1) Pair of Long Underwear (Tops and Bottoms). Not cotton!
- (5) Pair of Underwear
- (2) Sports Bras
- (4) T-Shirts
- (2) Pairs of Loose Fitting Pants
- (3) Pairs of Shorts
- (1) Swimsuit
- (2) Towels
- (1) Heavy Sweater or Jacket. Not cotton!
- (1) Rain Jacket or Poncho (water proof coated nylon or Gore-Tex )
- (1) Pair of Loose Fitting Rain Pants (water proof coated nylon or Gore-Tex)
- (1) Windbreaker (shell)
- (1) Lightweight Warm Hat
- (1) Lightweight Gloves/Mittens
- (1) Pair of Hiking boots (Broken In!)
- (1) Pair of Sneakers or sandals (for camp)
- (1) Pair of Water Shoes (closed toed preferred, old sneakers OK)
- Insect Repellent
- (1) Flashlight (with new batteries)
- (1) Sunglasses
- (2) Water Bottles
- Sun block
- (1) Sun Hat with Visor
- (1) Daypack (small pack to carry lunch, rain gear, water etc.)
- Toiletries (toothbrush/paste, soap, etc.)
- Ziplocs (for keeping items dry)
- (1) Sleeping Pad - for sleeping outside if desired (closed cell foam, Ensolite or Themarest type)
- Camera (other than a cell phone, which are not permitted. See FAQ page).
- Pad of Paper and Pen
- Cash for buying the occasional snack/treat
For more information about the Odyssey Freshman Adventure program at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Sarah Henley, Coordinator
Phone: (518) 564-5294
c/o Expeditionary Studies
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901