How to Join a Fraternity or Sorority at SUNY Plattsburgh
The process of joining a fraternity or sorority is one of mutual selection. Fraternities and sororities use different means to acquaint themselves with interested students and to allow prospective members to learn about the organization.
To join a fraternity or sorority, you should do the following:
- Know the Rules About Joining. Fraternities and sororities are permitted to recruit potential members continuously and several organizations take more than one new member class each semester. The only requirements are that all recruitment events must be alcohol free, new members must have a minimum 2.5 and 12 credit hours to join, and that new members must be initiated by the end of the semester. First semester freshmen are not allowed to join these organizations but are encouraged to attend events coordinated by fraternities and sororities to find out more about them. Learn more about the rules and regulations for joining.
- Participate In an All-Fraternity/Sorority Event. SUNY Plattsburgh's Inter-Sorority Association and Interfraternity Council do not coordinate formal recruitment processes. However, they provide campus wide programming throughout the year to allow non-affiliated students to become acquainted with them. These events are free and open to all students. Learn more about these types of events.
- Attend Individually Sponsored Fraternity/Sorority Programs or Events. Each fraternity and sorority hosts many events and programs that are open to all students, many of them for the purpose of recruitment. These include educational speakers, social and sporting events, and community service projects.
- Contact Us. Contact the Director of Fraternity/Sorority Life at email@example.com with your name, phone number and email address if you would like to be contacted by fraternities and sororities throughout the semester.
- Ask Questions. The best way to learn more about fraternity/sorority life is to ask questions. Don't hesitate to ask any fraternity/sorority member you meet about their organization - they will be happy to share their accomplishments and goals. Frequently Asked Questions can be found here. You should also feel free to contact Fraternity/Sorority Life for more information about how to find a fraternity or sorority that is right for you. Stop by the office, located in the Angell College Center, call (518) 564-4825 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Fraternity/Sorority Life at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Director of Fraternity/Sorority Life
Angell College Center 106
Phone: (518) 564-4825