Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Programs at SUNY Plattsburgh

Does Plattsburgh offer online graduate programs?

Answer: No, unfortunately at this time we do not offer any graduate programs entirely online.  The Master of Science in Expeditionary Studies program is designed as a hybrid model, with the majority of coursework taught online, and a limited on-campus component.  The 3 Educational Leadership programs at the Branch Campus are also hybrids, with 50% of courses offered online.  We are working to expand our online offerings in the near future.

Can I submit my application after the deadline?

Answer: Applications received after the deadlines of October 15th (Spring matriculation) and February 15th (Summer or Fall matriculation) may be considered on a space-available basis for some programs. Programs that require interviews generally will not accept late applications. The following programs presently conduct interviews shortly after the application deadline:  School Psychology, Speech-Language Pathology, Student Affairs Counseling, and Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

Photo of SUNY Plattsburgh students in classroomCheck "Dates and Deadlines" for admission deadline information.

Do you offer graduate assistantships?

Answer: Yes. SUNY Plattsburgh currently offers 20-25 Graduate Assistantships for well-qualified, full-time matriculated graduate students. Assistantship positions are only available pending funding. Assistantship applications must be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office by February 15th. Interviews are coordinated by the department(s) offering the assistantship(s). Graduate assistants typically work 20 hours per week for the academic year (10 months). Most assistantships start in the fall semester. All assistantships carry a tuition waiver and a stipend. General information about assistantships and the graduate assistantship application may be obtained from the Graduate Admissions Office. Detailed information, including a list of available assistantships, may be found at Graduate Assistantships.

Can I apply online?

Answer: No, not at this time (but soon!). Application forms are available online where you can download our PDF form and print them out to be completed and returned by USPS mail or email.   We are happy to mail you a paper application if you contact us by phone or email.  You can also stop by to pick up an application in our office. 

If I graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh, do I have to submit an official transcript?

Answer: No. Upon receipt of your application for admission, the Graduate Admissions Office will obtain your transcript from the Registrar's Office for use in your graduate file.  If you transferred into Plattsburgh as an undergraduate and sent your prior college transcripts to the Undergraduate Admissions office at that time, we will also obtain those documents.  The only transcripts you would need to submit are those that the college has not received before, for example if you took a few graduate courses at another institution after leaving SUNY Plattsburgh.

Can I take my entrance exams (GRE/MAT) in Plattsburgh?

Answer: If you live in the local area, the GRE exam is now being offered locally at Prometric Testing on Margaret Street in downtown Plattsburgh.  Visit the ETS website for more details.  The MAT exam is offered here on campus at SUNY Plattsburgh, through the Counselor Education department.  Contact the Counselor Education Office for more information at (518) 564-2164.

Can I take some graduate credits at SUNY Plattsburgh before I apply for admission?

Answer: Yes. If the course(s) are appropriate for the degree program you've selected, you may be able to apply from 1 to 12 credit hours earned as a non-matriculated student toward a graduate degree. To avoid any disappointments, we strongly recommend that you discuss your plans with an advisor in the appropriate department before taking any courses. Please note that no more than 12 graduate credit hours taken as a non-matriculated student (including credits earned at Plattsburgh) may be applied toward a graduate degree at Plattsburgh. You should achieve a grade of B or higher in order to use these courses toward your degree. Remember: there is a risk to taking non-matriculated graduate coursework; you may not be accepted into the graduate program when you finally get around to applying.

For more information about taking and registering for courses as a non-matriculated student, visit the Registrar's webpage and download the Non-Matriculated Student Registration Form.

How many credits can I transfer into a graduate program at Plattsburgh?

Answer: Twelve (12) is the maximum number of credit hours that may be transferred into a master's degree program at Plattsburgh from another accredited institution or earned at Plattsburgh as a non-matriculated student.

Each transferred course must have been completed with a grade of B (3.0) or higher. Approval of transfer credit is the responsibility of the faculty of the department/program which supervises the graduate program and the dean of the appropriate division.

What is considered full-time study?

Answer: Generally, a minimum of 12 credits is considered full-time. Graduate Assistants whose graduate assistantship is directly related to their educational program (e.g., when the assistantship is within their academic department) may take a minimum of 9 credit hours.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

Answer: Yes. The application fee is a non-refundable processing fee required of all applicants unless the applicant was in the GOAL (Grow Our Own Administrators Locally) Program or the EOP/HEOP/SEEK program as an undergraduate student. The EOP/HEOP/SEEK applicant should submit the application fee slip indicating previous EOP status. Verification of enrollment in one of these programs is required if the applicant's undergraduate college is other than SUNY Plattsburgh.

How long will I have to complete my graduate degree or certificate?

Answer: For master's degree programs of less than 60 credits, students who matriculated in the fall 2007 or later must complete all degree requirements within seven (7) years of the date of matriculation. For certificates of advanced study programs and master's degree programs of 60 credits or more, students who matriculated in the fall 2007 or later must complete all degree requirements within ten (10) years of the date of matriculation. For all graduate programs, only credits earned no more than ten (10) years prior to degree completion may be counted toward the degree. (Students who matriculated prior to the fall of 2007 in certificate programs of 60 credits or more who did not have a master's degree at the time of matriculation may apply credits earned up to fourteen (14) years prior to degree completion. Any credits from a completed master's degree accepted toward the completion of a certificate of advanced study are accepted irrespective of the date of the credits earned.)

What if I need to withdraw from my graduate program, either during a semester or for a couple of semesters?

Answer: Withdrawal from SUNY Plattsburgh is permissible within the guidelines specified in the General Information section of the Undergraduate and Graduate College Catalog. A Graduate Studies College Withdrawal Form is available for download. When you plan to return to your graduate studies, you will need to complete an Intent to Return to Graduate Study Form. You will not need to pay any fees to be reinstated as a matriculated student. However, your time limitations for completion of your degree program and application of transfer credits or credits acquired in non-matriculated status does not change. Financial aid recipients should consult with a financial aid adviser to determine the impact upon their financial aid before processing a withdrawal form.

Is campus employment available?

Answer: Yes. The Career Development Center, located in the Kehoe Administration Building, assists students in locating part-time and summer jobs through various programs, both on campus and with employers in the community. On-campus employment opportunities include part-time positions through Student Temporary Service, Research Foundation, and College Auxiliary Services as well as some campus offices. A student must be currently enrolled at SUNY Plattsburgh to use the services of the Career Development Center. Demonstration of financial need is not required. For information, call (518) 564-2071.

Is campus housing available for graduate students?

Answer: Yes. Campus housing - in one of 12 comfortable and modern residence halls - is available to graduate students who request it. Most graduate students opt to live off campus where ample housing is available. For information concerning housing options, contact the Assistant Director of Residence Life at (518) 564-3824; toll-free at (800) 569-5716; or send an e-mail to

Is child care provided on campus?

Answer: Yes. The SUNY Plattsburgh Child Care Center offers a variety of full-time and part-time enrollment options. Open year-round, the center is licensed to provide developmentally appropriate early care and education for children between the ages of six weeks and five years. The center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). For information, please contact the Center at (518) 564-2274.

Still Have Questions?

Send us an email at and we will help you out!

Contact Information

The Graduate Admissions Office is located on the first floor of the Kehoe Administration Building.

Phone: (518) 564-4723
Toll-Free: (800) 723-9515 (In U.S. and Canada)
FAX: (518) 564-4722

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm

Mailing Address:

Graduate Admissions Office—113 Kehoe
SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901-2681 USA