Graduate Assistantship Opening in the Undergraduate Admissions Office
Discontinued. Position will not be filled.
This graduate assistantship provides a tuition scholarship (in-state rate) and a stipend of $5,320 for the 2013-2014 academic year. The position reports to the Senior Admissions Advisor and requires a work schedule of 20 hours per week beginning on September 23, 2013, and ending on April 19, 2014. The assistantship starts four weeks after the start of the fall semester starts and ends three weeks before the end of the spring semester in order to allow the graduate assistant to work during the winter break. The 20-hour schedule will include some weekend work.
Responsibilities—Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review freshman applications — request missing materials and render final decisions under the supervision of the Associate Director of Admissions.
- Meet with prospective undergraduate students and their families when they visit the campus. Collect information to be used in application review and provide information regarding academic programs, campus life, student services, scholarships, and the application process.
- Assist in developing oral presentations about the college to both large and small audiences and coordinating special group visitations to campus which includes reserving rooms, arranging necessary faculty/staff/student involvement, and acting as the main point of contact for visiting groups.
- Respond to email and phone inquiries from prospective students, parents, and school counselors.
- Coordinate requests for departmental visits.
- Assist admissions advisors with special visitation programs, including Accepted Student Days, Group Information Sessions, Open Houses, Scholars Weekend, and the Multicultural Student Visitation Program.
- Matriculated graduate student at SUNY Plattsburgh in good academic standing (minimum 3.0 GPA).
- Must be able to work 20 hours per week during the winter session.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are knowledgeable about the SUNY Plattsburgh undergraduate student experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proficient computer skills and willingness to learn Banner.
- Committed to confidentiality, professionalism, and integrity.
- Strong organization skills with ability to attend to details.
- Ability to work independently on assigned projects and initiatives.
Complete the one-page Graduate Assistantship Form and the Human Resource Services General Employment Application. Be sure to attach your resume, two letters of recommendation, and a personal essay (250 words or less) outlining your skills and abilities to your General Employment Application.
To apply for this position, complete a Graduate Assistantship Application Form by February 15. The application form can be downloaded at: http://www.plattsburgh.edu/admissions/graduate/forms.php.
Jessica Fish, Senior Admissions Advisor
101 Broad St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901