Graduate Assistantship Opening in the Office of Academic Advising
The position provides a tuition scholarship (in-state rate) and a stipend for the 2014-2015 academic year. The graduate assistant reports to the Assistant to the VPAA/Director of Academic Advising and is responsible for 20 hours per week throughout the academic year. S/he should be available to work during the week prior to the start of each semester. (Ability to work during winter and summer breaks between semesters is helpful.)
- Become an involved staff participant in all aspects of the faculty, staff, and student services provided by the academic advising office.
- Participate in group advising sessions for undeclared students.
- Serve as primary academic advisor to approximately 150 undeclared students.
- Assist undeclared students on a walk-in basis in the absence of the student's assigned advisor.
- Establish a liaison relationship with residence life staff to create and initiate residence hall programs relative to orienting and teaching new students about the academic advising system and their respective degree requirements.
- Focus on initiatives to promote the retention of undeclared majors at SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Assist in general office administrative duties such as answering phones, responding to faculty, staff, student questions, processing information into the database, etc.
- Assist in programming for students on academic probation and with the implementation of new student initiatives.
- Matriculated graduate student at SUNY Plattsburgh in good academic standing (minimum 3.0 GPA).
- A background in lifespan and/or career development theory is beneficial.
- Capable of accomplishing multiple tasks concurrently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong writing and time management skills.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Interested in the field of academic guidance.
To apply for this position, complete a Graduate Assistantship Application Form by February 15. The application form can be downloaded at: http://www.plattsburgh.edu/admissions/graduate/forms.php
Suzanne L. Daley
Assistant to the VPAA/Director of Academic Advising
Feinberg Library 103
101 Broad St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901