Information for Incoming Exchange Students

Please Note:

You may only attend SUNY Plattsburgh as an exchange student if your home institution has an exchange agreement with us. If your home institution does not have an agreement with us, then you must apply through the normal admission application process.

If you are a student at one of our exchange partner universities, you may exchange to SUNY Plattsburgh for a semester or academic year.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What can I study at SUNY Plattsburgh?

SUNY Plattsburgh offers many courses every semester. The schedule for the upcoming spring semester is normally available around the start of October, and mid-March for fall semester. However, you can look at the recent fall and spring semesters to what is normally offered. The offerings do not vary too much. Please follow this link to our course schedule.

Return to top

Q: How do I apply?

You must apply through the office at your home institution that administers the agreement with SUNY Plattsburgh. They should have our application form to give to you. You must submit this form to them when finished. We do not accept applications directly from students.

Return to top

Q: When is the application deadline?

Your home institution probably has its own deadlines you must meet in addition to ours. We must, however, receive your SUNY Plattsburgh application from your home institution by October 15 for spring semester and April 15 for fall semester.

Return to top

Q: When is arrival and departure day, and other semester dates?

Arrival day is the Wednesday before the start of classes, and departure day is the Saturday at the end of finals week. To determine these dates in advance and for information on other key dates (such as holidays), please refer to our college calendar.

Return to top

Q: How do I get to Plattsburgh?

We will send you detailed information on how to get to Plattsburgh in your acceptance packet. Plattsburgh is served by a small regional airport - Plattsburgh International Airport (PLB). However, the Burlington, Vermont International Airport and Montreal (Canada) Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport are also both within ninety minutes of Plattsburgh. Montreal is accessible by bus and train. From Burlington, you will have to take a taxi (approximately $80 each way). Some students also fly to New York City, and then take the bus or train to Plattsburgh. However, be aware that Plattsburgh is a long ride from New York City!

Return to top

Q: How much do housing and meals cost?

The price can vary depending on what you choose what is available. For information on housing and living at SUNY Plattsburgh, please follow these links: Housing and Residence Life's website. and meals. You will receive your bill during orientation, and will have a couple of weeks to settle it. Payment plans are available, and you can pay with Visa or MasterCard and electronically.

Return to top

Q: Is bed linen provided?

Bed linen is not provided.  During orientation you can take a free shuttle to a shopping center where you can purchase bedding for your personal use.

Return to top

Q: Are there any additional expenses?

You must pay SUNY Plattsburgh's washer/dryer fee (approximately $40 per semester), hall dues (approximately $10 per semester) and Medex (approximately $45 per semester).

Return to top

Q: Is my health insurance valid in the United States?

U.S. law requires international students to have health insurance valid here in the United States. It further requires the amount of coverage for this policy to be valid. Most health insurance plans from other countries do not meet these requirements. You will receive information on the coverage requirements in your acceptance packet, and a form to fill out identifying what and how much your insurance covers. If it does not meet the legal requirements, then you must purchase a policy through SUNY Plattsburgh. The current cost is approximately $400, and is due shortly after you arrive. Be aware that if you do not have or maintain the minimum requirements by law, then you will be in violation of the law and subject to any related consequences (such as deportation).

Return to top

Q: Do I need a visa?

In order to be an exchange student in the United States, every international student must apply for what is called J-1 status. After you submit your application to SUNY Plattsburgh, we will give you a form called a "DS-2019." You must take this form to your local U.S. consulate* to apply for your J-1 status. You will also have to assemble other documents to support your application, such as proof of having enough to support yourself in the United States. The minimum amount of money you must show is $5,535 U.S. per semester. However, what you must submit is a little different from one consulate to the next. To find the U.S. consulate closest to you and its website, follow this link to the U.S. State Department's online directory.

*For Canadian Citizens: You do not need to apply at the U.S. consulate. You may apply for J-1 status at the border for same day processing. Bring your DS-2019 form from SUNY Plattsburgh, your Canadian passport, your admissions letter from SUNY Plattsburgh and proof of funds to support yourself ($5,535 U.S. per semester).


Questions, Comments, Suggestions?

If you would like more information about study abroad and exchange opportunities at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact us at:

Global Education Office
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

Phone: (518) 564-3287
Toll-Free Phone: (800) 388-6784
Fax: (518) 564-3292

Location: We are on the second floor of the Kehoe Administration Building on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus.