How to Schedule & Book a Visit to the Northcountry Planetarium
Note: The Northcountry Planetarium is currently closed for renovation and will reopen in the summer of 2013.
To check availability or to schedule a visit to the Northcountry Planetarium please telephone our secretary at (518) 564-3168 anytime Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Currently there is a charge of $1.00 per person for student and special interest group presentations.
Notes and Reminders
Please consider the following when planning a visit to the Northcountry Planetarium:
- The Northcountry Planetarium will be available for K-12 school groups on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8:30 a.m. and 12 noon. The last morning school presentation must be schedule begin no later than 11 a.m.
- The Northcountry Planetarium will be available for special interest groups by individual prior arrangement.
- Please note that the Northcountry Planetarium will be closed during regularly scheduled college holidays and recesses such as Thanksgiving, winter recess, spring break, summer recess, etc.
- Please give some consideration to the constitution of your “visiting group”; their age, grade level, school curriculum, maturity, experiences, interests and whether or not they belong to a classroom or a special interest group.
- Please keep in mind we are planetarium, not an observatory. Our ceiling does not open to reveal the actual night sky to be observed with a telescope; rather our dome shaped ceiling remains closed and acts as a hemispherical projection screen for the planetarium projector to accurately simulate the celestial phenomena of night sky as well as their locations and natural motions.
- Although we possess a number pre-designed presentations covering a wide variety of subject matter and themes for individual grade levels and age groups, we are happy to accommodate specific topic and content requests when possible.
- While some pre-designed presentations may be scaled and adjusted to meet the specific needs of individual classrooms or groups with little additional preparation, additions and substitutions of larger portions of content will require the planetarian to make more extensive modifications in setup and software programming.
- Please be sure to notify our secretary of your content desires when scheduling your visit as custom requests will require additional preparation time for the planetarian.
- Please note that custom or instructor-designed content requires that the visiting instructor communicate his or her needs directly to the planetarian conducting the program and requires a minimum of two weeks lead time for the acquisition and arrangement of appropriate images, video sources and demonstrations.
- You may wish to allow for slightly more time in your schedule than is indicated for our programs to accommodate travel to and from your transportation and/or student questions.
- Due to the nature of the delicate optics, electronics and other equipment food, beverages and gum are not allowed in the planetarium theater.
- Classroom teachers, parents or other responsible adult chaperons must remain in the planetarium theater with their students or special interest group throughout the entire presentation.
- Cellular telephones, laptops, flash cameras and all other electronic devices should be turned off and stowed prior to entry into the planetarium theater.
- As it is the nature of our facility to accurately simulate the night sky, the planetarium theater will become dark, very dark. Please advise and prepare your students accordingly prior to your arrival.
- Due to building construction in the Hudson Hall area there is no suitable parking area for large numbers of cars or buses in the immediate area surrounding the Northcounrty Planetarium. Please be prepared to walk across campus from neighboring parking areas or drop guests at the Hudson Hall front entrance and then park your vehicles elsewhere on campus. For further information about arrival and parking options please call our secretary at (518) 564-3168 anytime Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. View the campus parking map.
To learn more about the Northcountry Planetarium at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Glenn Myer, Director
Office 218 Hudson Hall
Phone: (518) 564-3166
Fax: (518) 564-3169