Foreign Language Placement Exams
All students are expected to take the foreign language exam. For time and location of exams given during orientation, please visit Student Orientation's website or contact Larry Allen, Orientation Coordinator, Kehoe 606, 518-564-3282.
2012 Summer Orientation Placement Exam Schedule
The Summer Orientation schedule includes foreign language placement exams for new transfers and freshmen. The dates and times are as follows:
- Tuesday, June 26: 1:30–2:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 2: 1:30–2:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 9: 1:30–2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, July 12: 1:30–2:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 16: 1:30–2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, July 19: 1:30–2:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 25: 1–2 p.m.
Placement exams will be held in Yokum Hall 200 (Spanish) & 202 (French).
Placement Exam Result Posting
Results will be delivered directly to the Registrar’s Office as well as be posted ahead of advisement and course selection at the entrance the ACC Ballrooms where incoming freshmen students will receive advisement at 10:45 a.m. on June 27, July 3, 10, 13, 17, 20, at 10 a.m. in the Feinberg Library Computer Center.
A. Placement by Exams:
The placement exam assists the department to place a student appropriately. During Summer Orientation, SUNY Plattsburgh offers several placement tests in French and in Spanish.
In addition, placement exams in French, German and Spanish are given 2 days before the start of each semester by the Foreign Languages and Literature Department. (Please obtain time and location from the Registrar's web site.) The exam lasts for about one hour — no preparation on the student's part is necessary. The results are posted the same day and students will be instructed where to find them. There are no make-up exams.
B. Placement Results:
- Placement into level 111 of a language means that the student must complete this course and level 112 prior to graduation in order to satisfy SUNY Plattsburgh's General Education 5 (GE5) requirement of proficiency in a foreign language at the 112-level. Successful completion of 111 results in 3 Elective Credits. Successful completion of 112 results in 3 General Education Credits. The FLL department strongly recommends that all students satisfy their foreign language requirement at the beginning of their studies.
- Placement into level 150 means the student must successfully complete this course to satisfy SUNY Plattsburgh's GE5 foreign language requirement at the 112/150-level. The student receives 3 General Education Credits.
- Placement into level 213 satisfies:
- SUNY Plattsburgh's General Education 5 requirement in a foreign language at the 112/150 level.
- the one-year foreign language requirement for education majors.
Please note: Students receive zero (0) credits for satisfying these requirements through the placement exam.
C. Credit-bearing Exams:
Students who desire credit for their foreign language proficiency should arrange to take one of the following exams:
- The CLEP Exam (College-Level Examination Program), which offers up to 12 credits, can be taken in French, German or Spanish.
- Students who desire credit in languages other than French, German or Spanish should take the NYU Exam (New York University Exam), which is available in 53 languages and also offers up to 12 credits.
(For dates, time and location, please contact: Office of Academic Advising, Kehoe Building, 518-564-2080.)
If the student passes any of the exams at the 112/150 level or higher, he/she will satisfy the GE5 requirement and the one-year foreign language requirement for education majors.
D. FLL Courses Offered:
- FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/ARA 111 is strictly for beginners, or for students with only two years or fewer of high school language knowledge.
- FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/ARA 112 is a continuation of level 111 and should only be taken by students who have passed 111. Successful completion of level 112 satisfies SUNY Plattsburgh's GE4 foreign language requirement and the one-year foreign language requirement for education majors. (3 General Education Credits.)
- FRE/SPA 150 is for students with three years of high school French or Spanish, or the equivalent in life experience. FRE/SPA 150 accomplishes a curriculum equivalent to FRE/SPA 111 and FRE/SPA 112. Although beginning at different points, FRE/SPA 112 and FRE/SPA 150 are designed to end at the same proficiency level, which permits entrance into FRE/SPA 213. Successful completion of FRE/SPA 150 satisfies SUNY Plattsburgh's General Education 4 foreign language requirement and the one-year foreign language requirement for education majors. (3 General Education credits.) (Please note: There is no GER 150 equivalent; students should take GER 112.)
- FRE/GER/SPA 213 is a second-year course, normally reserved for those who have passed level 112 or 150, or for those who have had at least four years of high school French, German, or Spanish. Placement into level 213 can be accomplished through the FLL Placement Exam or through the CLEP or NYU exams.
For more information about the modern languages and cultures program at SUNY Plattsburgh please contact:
Dr. Jean Ouedraogo, Chair
Office: Champlain Valley Hall 315
Phone: (518) 564-3833
Department of Modern Languages and Cultures
Champlain Valley Hall 311
Plattsburgh, NY 12901