Why Major in English at SUNY Plattsburgh?
A B.A. in English is one of the most versatile, practical, and marketable degrees. It can prepare you for careers in
- Business and management;
- Publishing and editing;
- Professional writing, including journalism, technical writing, and copywriting;
- Grant writing and fundraising;
- Marketing and advertising;
- Public relations;
- And many more.
English is also a preferred degree for people considering going into professional fields. Did you know that…?
- Law schools recommend English as the preferred major for students considering careers in law.
- Medical schools also value English majors. They recognize how important effective communication skills are for future doctors and medical professionals.
- One of the fastest growing career tracks for English majors is Business. Business schools find students with B.A.s in English to be well prepared for M.B.A. programs.
- Even without an M.B.A., American companies prize the verbal and written communication skills that English majors possess, along with their finely honed analytical and critical thinking skills. This skill set is in top demand at nearly every company in America.
- English is also an excellent field to prepare students for graduate work in a variety of disciplines, as well as future careers in teaching.
Why is the English major so versatile? Our English program stresses the acquisition of useful, marketable skills that will serve you well here at SUNY Plattsburgh, and far beyond.
English majors will learn to
- Write in clear, lucid, effective prose;
- Learn to think critically and analytically;
- Become more articulate by developing oral communication skills, a key to achieving managerial positions;
- Master language, which of the three communication systems—language, mathematics, and music—is the most versatile, complex, and capable of the greatest breadth of representation;
- Master literature, which is an applied version of almost all of the arts rolled into one;
- Master poetry, which is concentrated on the human experience.
Employers of English Majors include:
- business and industry
- magazines and newspapers
- consulting firms
- public relation firms
- telecommunications organizations
- book publishers
- non-profit organizations
Consider majoring in English. While it is a major for people who want to pursue their passion for literature and the arts, it also opens up so many doors beyond college and the field of English Studies.
If you would like more information about English programs at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Thomas J. Morrissey, Chair
Phone: (518) 564-2134
Fax: (518) 564-2140
Champlain Valley Hall 104
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901