CS and IT programs prepare for the following careers.
- Computer programmers (CS),
- Computer software engineers/designers (CS),
- Computer scientists (educators/researchers) (CS),
- Database administrators (CS or IT),
- Web programmers and web server administrators (CS or IT)
- System and network administrators (IT),
- Computer support specialists/technicians (IT),
- Computer system analysts (designing solutions for organizations) (IT).
The jobs which could be moved oversees have been already moved -- most current CS and IT jobs cannot be moved overseas because of security concerns.
CS and IT prepare for careers which offer great pay, influence the future, and spread innovation in all sectors of public life from health care to transportation and from entertainment to environment.
An increased spectrum of jobs becomes available after earning a graduate degree; our CS major offers an excellent preparation for graduate studies.
From the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- "Computing careers are the fastest growing occupations with nearly 1 million new jobs added, an average of 31% growth rate by 2014."
- "Employment is expected to increase much faster than the average as organizations continue to expand their use of technology."
- "Computer software engineers are one of the occupations projected to grow the fastest and add the most new jobs over the 2006-16 decade."
- "In May 2006, median annual earnings of [...] software engineers were $79,780. The middle 50 percent earned between $62,830 and $98,470."
- "Excellent job prospects are expected for applicants with at least bachelorâs degree in computer science and with practical work experience."
See Career Links for more information.
For more information about computer science and information technology programs at SUNY Plattsburgh please contact
Dr. Jan Plaza, Chair
Office: Redcay 145
Phone: (518) 564-2788
Fax: (518) 564-3010