Special Collections at SUNY Plattsburgh
Rare and Archival Materials Focused on the North Country of New York State
Don't miss it! The Incredible Special Collections Mystery Archives Series!
Follow The Inspector in his intrepid quest to solve the latest mystery in the archives!
Explore Special Collections
Our collection focuses on the northern New York State counties of Clinton, Essex, and Franklin, and the Adirondack and Champlain Valley regions. We also house general materials on New York State. We collect information in a variety of formats. Here you'll find monographs, periodicals, pamphlets and other ephemera, audio and video materials, photographs, maps, and manuscripts. Our card catalogs index manuscript guides, pamphlets, and local newspapers. They also include article-by-article indexing of periodicals relating to New York State.
Special Collections also contains the College Archives, the Plattsburgh State thesis collection, rare books, and the Rockwell Kent Collection (located conveniently in the same building as the Kent Gallery). Special Collections services (see below) include patron assistance (available during all hours that the collection is open), referral to other historical collections as needed, and individual and group orientation to the collection. Since Special Collections is a research collection, materials do not circulate. We welcome community researchers.
Find Materials in Special Collections in Several Ways
- Use our library catalog (PlattCat) to find books, periodicals, pamphlets, audio and video materials.
- Use our POLARIS index search to find newspaper and periodical articles (1800-2006) held by Special Collections and relating to the Lake Champlain-Adirondack region, photographs, and pamphlets.
- Use our online guides to find lists for the College Archives , Manuscript Collections, the Rockwell Kent Collection , and the Clinton County Cemetery Index.
- Use ArchiveGrid to search across our online manuscript guides and over three million collection descriptions from more than one thousand institutions.
- Find full-text news articles in New York State Historic Newspapers, including SUNY Plattsburgh student newspapers (1940-2006), the Plattsburgh Sentinel, and the Plattsburgh Republican.
- Find images from our collections, including the Cardinal Yearbook and Plattsburgh Barracks and Plattsburgh Normal School photos, in the New York Heritage Digital Collections.
- Visit us in person to find materials that are not online. When visiting, please be aware of our Reading Room Guidelines and other policies.
Our card catalogs index the following items:
- Pamphlet Collection (also indexed in POLARIS)
- Articles in periodicals relating to New York State (also indexed in POLARIS); these contain newspaper and periodical articles (1800-2006) held by Special Collections and relating to the Lake Champlain/Adirondack region.
- Manuscript Collections
Services for Visitors
For more information about Special Collections at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Debra Kimok, Special Collections Librarian
Tel. (518) 564-5206