Major in Childhood Education
Our Childhood Education Major Allows You To:
- Prepare for teaching in an elementary school classroom grades 1-6.
- Link educational theories, principles, and concepts with educational practice through extensive hands-on elementary school field experience.
- Benefit from an up-to-date integrated curriculum that incorporates literacy and special education.
- Participate in a program with themes that help you develop into qualified, caring and competent educator.
- Meet degree requirements to obtain initial teacher certification granted through the New York State Education Department.
- Have personal advisement with full-time faculty.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Childhood Education (115-123 credits)
The degree has three parts:
- General education courses required for all students (minimum of 35 credits).
- Childhood education courses and extensive field experience (50 credits).
- 30 to 38 credits in one of the following academic concentrations: art, biology, chemistry, earth science, English, French, mathematics, music, social studies, Spanish.
Childhood Education Programs at SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury
A Bachelor of Science (B.S) degree in childhood education grades 1-6, leading to initial certification, is offered at SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury.
Note: these 946kB files require the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
If you would like to learn more about the undergraduate program in childhood education at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Denise Simard, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Teacher Education Unit
Program Area Coordinator, B.S.Ed. Undergraduate Programs
Office: Sibley Hall 202
Phone: (518) 564-5111
Fax: (518) 564-2149
Phone: (518) 564-2123